PISCES recognizes and handles the following forms of spatial and tabular data:
- Point, line or polygon data where
- all features in the file represent the occurrence of a single species (though possibly of varying occurrence_types)
- each feature has a field indicating a taxon
- each feature has multiple fields where the field name indicates the taxon and the value of that field for each feature indicates a form of presence
- Tables with a field for x coordinates and a field for y coordinates and
- each row has a field indicating a taxon
PISCES code does not automatically recognize that a dataset is one of these data types - you will need to specify which one it is when you configure it. A dataset that does not match these formats can still be imported, but will possibly need additional code to be functional.
Adding additional datasets to PISCES is separated into two main steps, configuration and import.